Update of 09 Feb 2024
The tenth session of the IMO Sub-Committee on Human Element, Training and Watchkeeping (HTW 10) was held from 5 to 9 February 2024.
- Comprehensive Review of the 1978 STCW Convention and Code
HTW 10 discussed the road map and the specific areas for the comprehensive review of the STCW Convention and Code, to address the needs emanating from the ongoing developments in terms of technology, digitalization and alternative fuels.
HTW 10 finalised:
- The list of specific areas for the comprehensive review, as attached.
- the road map for the comprehensive review:
- it was agreed on the need to establish an intersessional working group for Phase 1 before HTW 11, in order to make progress on the review intersessionally, and to ensure maximum participation from all interested parties, with a hybrid meeting facility, with the terms of reference as attached.
- the draft road map for the comprehensive was finalized, as attached.
HTW 10 prepared the two-phase approach for the comprehensive review:
- Phase 1 (Review/Identification of gaps): cover whole parts of the Convention and Code, including articles, to ensure it is truly comprehensive.
- Phase 2 (Revision): to be further discussed and defined at a later stage after Phase 1 had been finalized.
It also prepared a non-exhaustive lists of documents on proposals for amendments to the STCW Convention and Code and the topics for consideration during the comprehensive review was finalized, as attached.