At IMO this past week (3-6 April 2018) took place the
3rd Meeting of the IMO Intersessional Working Group on the Reduction of GHG Emissions from Ships.
INTERCARGO followed the deliberations in its consultative/observer status
and you may refer to our outline/commentary in view of this meeting here.
A 1st meeting took place on 26-30 June 2017 (just before the last MEPC 71 – Marine Environment Protection Committee meeting),
and a 2nd one on 23-27 October 2017.
The Working Group worked on the finalisation of the
INITIAL IMO STRATEGY ON REDUCTION OF GHG EMISSIONS FROM SHIPS
– Levels of Ambition and Guiding Principles
– List of candidate short-, mid- and long-term further measures with possible timelines and their impact on states
– Barriers and supportive measures; capacity building and technical cooperation; R&D
– Follow-up actions towards the development of the revised strategy
– periodic review of the strategy
with its report to be submitted to the 72nd session of the IMO Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC 72) (April 9-13) – see here.
On the meeting’s outcome: