Round Table of International Shipping Associations
To press for a unified Industry voice in the creation of Industry policy and strategy, INTERCARGO strongly supports the concept of the Round Table.
The Round Table of international shipping associations consists of:
- BIMCO, whose membership comprises of owners, brokers, ships agents and other operators;
- The International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) whose membership comprises of the national shipowners’ associations from 37 countries;
- INTERCARGO, the International Association of Dry Cargo Shipowners;
- INTERTANKO, the International Association for Independent Tanker Owners.
To work together to serve, represent and advance the international shipping industry.
A responsible and respected international shipping industry meeting the expectations of its stakeholders.
- By acting in concert to avoid duplication on issues of consensus, where the combined effort of the Round Table can exceed the sum of the individual efforts.
- Present the industry’s arguments in a clear, co-ordinated, consistent and unambiguous manner.
- Enhance political and public awareness of the essential role of shipping in world trade.
- Encourage a positive and respected response to the industry on the part of society at large.
- Communicate the performance of the industry.
- Provide guidance to the industry on relevant topical issues.
- Develop measures for credible and effective self-regulation within the industry whilst promoting the case for a proper balance between regulation and self-regulation.
- Support the principle of international rather than regional or unilateral regulation.
- Advance quality in shipping, and the universal commitment to maritime safety and environmental responsibility.
- Ensure that shipping provides a challenging and rewarding career for persons of commitment, initiative and enthusiasm.
- Promote the shipping industry as an attractive employer.
- Develop a closer working relationship with the industry’s partners in the “chain of responsibility”.
Current Coordination Topics
Fair treatment of Seafarers (& criminalisation), Piracy, Places of Refuge, MARPOL Annex VI, Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Ships, Reception Facilities, Ballast Water Management, Corruption.