Update on 22 Jun 2023:
Navy source MDAT-GOG reported that:
- On 22 Jun 2023, an MV at anchor in position 09138N – 013507W (16NM South of CONAKRY) has been boarded by 4 armed persons. The armed persons used force to take money from the safe. The armed persons have left the MV, all crew and vessel safe.
In 2023, serious incidents were reported in the Gulf of Guinea region:
1.On 02 May 2023, bulk carrier Grebe Bulker was boarded at the Owendo inner anchorage, Gabon. Three crew members were kidnapped.
- On 22 May, safe return of the three seafarers was reported who were kidnapped three weeks ago.
2.On 10 April 2023, tanker Success 9 was boarded and hijacked about 309 nautical miles (556 km) south-west of Abidjan in the Ivory Coast, and located on 14 Apr. All crew were safe and in good health. Her cargo was siphoned.
3.On 26 March 2023, tanker Monjasa Reformer was boarded and hijacked by pirates while it was around 160 nautical miles off Congo’s Pointe Noire. The vessel was found on 30 March 2023, but six crew members had been kidnapped.
- It was reported on 8 May that the crew members were freed from an undisclosed location in Nigeria. The seafarers were in “relatively” good health following their five-week hostage.
Mariners are advised to exercise caution when transiting West Africa including the Gulf of Guinea area. To seek support and guidance, bulk carriers are strongly encouraged to register with the UK/ French navies’ MDAT-GOG as early as possible, before entering this region and update MDAT-GOG their position frequently to receive timely advice and alert.
- Email: email@example.com
- Emergency Tel: +33(0) 298 22 88 88
- Web Site https://gog-mdat.org