Update on 02 Dec 2022
1. Western Indian Ocean
Please refer to the Industry Releasable Threat Assessment (IRTA) “IRTA_DEC_22” dated 01 Dec 2022, from the navy offices of Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) and the European Union Naval Force Operation ATALANTA (EU NAVFOR).
The IRTA covers the threat assessment of the Red Sea (RS), Bab al Mandeb Strait (BAM), Gulf of Aden (GOA) and the Western Indian Ocean (WIO), as follows:
- Piracy is LOW (an attack is unlikely).
- Conflict-related activity:
- LOW for transiting merchant vessels.
- MODERATE (an attack is a realistic possibility) for Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and Saudi-led Coalition (SLC)-flagged vessels.
- MODERATE for all types of ships involved in the Yemeni conflict entering Yemen territorial water.
- SUBSTANTIAL (an attack is likely) to tankers engaged in oil activities near Yemeni ports.
- Terrorism attack is LOW (an attack is unlikely).
UAV Threat. State actors and non-state actors have proved capable of possessing and operating Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAV) to conduct direct and warning attacks against specific targets, with a certain degree of damage. It is likely that these kind of attacks will continue in the short term and near future.