Update on 04 Sept 2020:-
1. Gulf of Guinea
Maritime Domain Awareness for Trade – Gulf of Guinea (MDAT-GoG https://gog-mdat.org/home) issued a NOTICE 001/SEP/2020, dated 3 Aug 2020, informing:
- Description: Information from military source indicate an armed group from Rivers State, NIGERIA are planning a piracy attack against vessels in area D (especially Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea) since the 1st of September. It is likely the attack will occur at low tide, when the monitoring units are missing. Therefore, you are requested to be on maximum alert, to increase vigilance and surveillance and intensify intelligence both on the water and in the port. Systematically identify and search all suspicious boats coming from or leaving Nigeria. Report any suspicions and take into account any diversion.
- MDAT-GOG Watchkeeper Email: email@example.com, Emergency Tel: +33(0) 298 22 88 88
- Source: Reported to MDAT-GoG by local authorities
2. Singapore Strait and neighbouring waters
The Information Fusion Centre (IFC) Singapore, hosted by the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) (https://www.ifc.org.sg/ifc2web/app_pages/User/common/aboutus.cshtml), draws the attention to the significant number of security incidents involving bulk carriers due to their low freeboard. The attached IFC Weekly Report informs:
- During 29 Aug – 04 Sep 2020, all 3 “Theft, Robbery and Piracy at Sea” incidents involved bulk carriers.
- Among the 12 incidents reported from Apr 2020 (see pages 2-9), there were 8 involving bulk carriers.
- IFC also observed a shift in sea theft and attempted action incidents to northwest of Bintan, transiting the east-bound lane of the Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS) in the Singapore Strait.
- IFC observed that the area of concern has shifted easterly from East Karimun and North Batam to Northwest of Bintan. Some incidents occurred during the night within the hours of darkness and minimal illumination from the moon.
- The IFC recommends the measures to be implemented while transiting or anchored, with details in the attached IFC Shipping Advisory.
3. Red Sea, Bab al Mandeb Strait (BAM), Gulf of Aden (GOA) and the Western Indian Ocean
The Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) and the European Union Naval Force Somalia (EUNAVFOR) issued their Threat Assessment “IRTA-01SEP20” on 2 Sept 2020.