– January 2021-
Dear Members of INTERCARGO,
Warmest wishes on behalf of our Secretariat for the New Year 2021!
Please refer to INTERCARGO Chairman Dimitris Fafalios’ 2021 Welcome message here.
A brief review follows of our Association’s activities last month and of what is upcoming:
Membership updates; Chairmen and Constitution; Next INTERCARGO semi-annual meetings;
INTERCARGO anniversary webinar; Other recent/upcoming meetings & events;
Recent/upcoming meetings & Calendar of events;
Coronavirus pandemic; Media Releases;
Published updates on our Working Programme; Other updates;
Members’ Reporting & Surveys; Publications-reports-papers; Regular Circulars.
In more detail:
New members in December:
– ZRICH SHIP MANAGEMENT PTE. LTD.
– EFSHIPPING COMPANY S.A.
– HFW (Associate)
Membership stats as of end 2020 (which you may also view here):
– Full members – 141 Full Members from 30 countries and 81 Associate Members from 27 countries
– Registered ships – #2,397 ships (with a total tonnage of 227 mil. dwt)
(i.e. about 20% basis numbers and about 25% basis dwt of the global dry bulk carrier fleet)
May I take this opportunity to express our huge appreciation to
all Members for their continued support throughout these very challenging times
and for further strengthening our Association via the registration of additional ships.
Membership 2021 renewals are currently ongoing (each company must have received the invoicing for the applicable fees).
Please consider also updating our Secretariat with your (ask for the update form at firstname.lastname@example.org ):
- company details (postal address etc)
- designated company representative & other contacts, with their respective emails to include in our emailing lists
- representative in our Executive Committee (open to all Full members).
Membership logos, Company and Vessel Certificates:
the 2021 versions are provided upon renewal of the annual membership; Vessel Certificates are currently under production to be posted here.
Chairmen and Constitution
As per the latest Annual General Meeting decisions (please see here for details),
on 1 January 2021 too effect:
– the new terms of the elected Chairmen (please refer to the relevant Media Release)
– revisions to our Association’s Constitution .
Next INTERCARGO semi-annual meetings
They will take place on 11-12 March 2021 on virtual mode
(the Technical Committee to meet on March 11 and the Executive Committee on March 12; further information will be communicated soonest).
INTERCARGO webinar: “40 YEARS OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS, 40 YEARS OF EXPECTATIONS AHEAD”
It will take place on 28 January 2021 at 12:30-13:30 (London time) on the occasion of our Association’s 40th anniversary (1980-2020)
and will broadcasted live via YouTube for INTERCARGO members, guests and an international audience (further information will be communicated soonest).
Other recent/upcoming meetings & events
– IMO LEGAL COMMITTEE (LEG 107) (Nov. 27-Dec. 1)
– HIMT. Annual Meeting of Marine Technology (Dec. 11) – please see here
– Ventilation Guide Webinar (Dec. 11) – please see here
– (upcoming) IMO EDITORIAL AND TECHNICAL GROUP (E&T 33) (Jan. 18-22)
Please refer to the INTERCARGO calendar (latest update as of Jan. 5, attached to this webpage)
Coronavirus pandemic updates
– Our Association has continued its engagement in regular industry COVID-19 Co-ordination and Task Force meetings and initiatives; you may refer to some of our relevant updates here
– INTERCARGO’s relevant Media Releases:
- “INTERCARGO calls for seafarers to receive COVID-19 vaccine as a priority” (Dec. 9) – please see here
- “Shipping bodies call on Jeff Bezos to take a stand for stranded seafarers at industry Round Table” (Nov. 26) – please see here
- “INTERCARGO: Charterers preventing crew change must be held to account” (Nov. 2) – please see here
- “INTERCARGO Meetings Address Key Industry Issues” (Oct. 12) – please see here
- “World Maritime Day 2020: Sustainable shipping for a sustainable planet” (Sep. 24) – please see here
- “Crew change: Drastic measures needed now” (July 27) – please see here
- “Day of the Seafarer: Slow Response from Governments Pushing Seafarers to their Limits” (June 24) – please see here
- Urgent video message: “Crew Change – time is running out” (June 12) – please see here
- “Crew Change for ‘Key Workers’ at Sea Must be Top of the Industry’s Agenda” (April 28) – please see here
- “Coronavirus poses major challenges for seafarers on merchant ships from increasing restrictions imposed by port states” (March 17) – please see here
Media Releases & communications (in December)
– Seafarers Delivering Christmas Campaign – please see here
– Sailors’ Society Virtual Christmas Carol Service – please see here
– “Chairman and Vice-Chairmen of INTERCARGO up for new terms” (Dec. 16) – please see here
– “INTERCARGO calls for seafarers to receive COVID-19 vaccine as a priority” (Dec. 9) – please see here
Published updates on our Working Programme
– Ports & Terminals – please see here
– Training, Manpower & Human Element – please see here
– Incidents & Casualties – please see here
– Piracy – please see here
– Cyber Risks – please see here
– IMO – please see here
Please also refer to the respective emailed circulars and consult the articles on our website https://www.intercargo.org/
The latest updates are posted on the Homepage under:
– IN FOCUS
– and MEMBER NEWS (includes access to industry events);
also navigate the MENU (top of page) for TOPICS, NEWS, and other categories of updates.
Members’ Surveys & Reporting
For our Surveys & Reporting, including the below, please refer for details here
– Terminal Reporting
– Safe Loading/Unloading at Anchorage
– Crew injury frequency and lost time
– Other experience sharing
– IMPORTANT TOPICS IN 2020 Full Members’ survey results – please see here
Publications, reports & papers
– The Guidelines on Cyber Security onboard Ships – please see here
– latest INTERCARGO publications in a special package – please see here
– INTERCARGO Annual Review 2019/2020 – please see here (new edition)
– A Guide to Bulk Carrier Operations – please see here
– Fuel Quality Survey report- please see here
– (video) “Dry Bulk Shipping: Sustainably serving the world’s essential needs” – please see here
– 2020 BWMS Operational Survey Report – please see here
– INTERCARGO Submissions to IMO in 2020 – please see here
– INTERCARGO Benchmarking Bulk Carriers report 2018-19 – please see here
– INTERCARGO Bulk Carrier Casualty Report 2019 – please see here
– INTERCARGO – The First 40 Years – please see here
– for all publications please see here
Regular Circulars / web-updates
– Dry bulk trade and fleet update (monthly, also posted here)
– Selected News Headlines (weekly, also posted here)
– INTERCARGO in the News (please see here)
– the present update of Secretariat activities & upcoming ones (monthly).
For any question or clarification, do not hesitate to contact me and the Secretariat at email@example.com.
Wishing you a most prosperous and healthy New Year,
Kostas G. GKONIS, PhD
For the 2020 monthly updates, please see here